NDTV-COCA-COLA SUPPORT MY SCHOOL
Every child has a right to learn in a happy, healthy environment which is critical for the overall development of the child. Lack of basic amenities like Toilets, Access to Water and Infrastructure create unforgiving and uncaring circumstances leading to accelerated drop out ratios -1 in 2 children drop out by 8th Grade. We believe this is an area of concern and needs immediate attention. In keeping with the NDTV philosophy of promoting critical issues, NDTV in partnership with Coca-Cola India, CAF & UN-Habitat launched the SUPPORT MY SCHOOL campaign on the 24th of January, 2011. Legendary cricketer Sachin Tendulkar joined the cause as the Campaign Ambassador.
The objectives of this programme were to assist at least 100 schools in semi-urban and rural areas on following parameters –
1. Improved access to drinking water
2. Sanitation facility for girls and boys
3. Providing playgrounds and sports equipment
4. Rainwater harvesting project
5. Developing the environment
6. Provision of Libraries and teachers’ training in schools
Build up- A sustained media campaign with promos, stories & special specialprogrammes played across NDTV Network to raise awareness. – Programming was aimed at highlighting the conditions of schools in rural area and appeal viewers to join the cause
Main Event- TELETHON- FUND RAISER FOR SMS -18 September 2011 :
– A 12 hour live action packed television event with live celebrity performances, chats, interaction through phone calls with viewers who have donated/ want to donate to the cause
– Use of web, mobile and TV to gain maximum penetration and offer interactivity with the event as it progresses
– Main event was spread across various hubs across India, covered by NDTV reporters on ground.
– Over Rs 5 Crore raised during the telethon.
– 100 schools and over 40,000 students across India benefitted
– The telethon created awareness among the common man, corporates, NRIs, celebrities & international organizations.
– Increased level of awareness about environmental issues amongst students, teachers and the communities
– Increase in girl student enrollment and the decrease in girl student dropout rate
– Improvement in potable water quality and sense of personal hygiene
– Increased Community Participation by locals around the project schools. Demonstration effect from the project intervention in nearby areas
– Increased cleanliness in and around the school campus
– Increased sense of pride for the school amongst the children, teachers and the local community
Season 2 of SMS campaign was launched in the USA with two new international partners Worldvision and Plan International joining the cause.
In year 2 SMS campaign aims to benefit 250 more schools and by 2015 a 1000 more schools.
SMS campaign will continue to strive for it’s motto ‘Help keep children where they belong… in schools’