Mother Teresa Memorial Awards 2016
The Mother Teresa Memorial International Awards for Social Justice, an initiative of Harmony Foundation was held on 20th November 2016 at JW Marriott, Sahar to recognize the extraordinary humanitarian work undertaken by an individual or organization.
The Chief Guest was His Excellency Hamid Karzai, Former President of Afghanistan.
Guests of Honour included:
1. Nana Akuffo Addo – Presidential Candidate of Ghana
2. Dr Farooq Abdullah – Former Chief Minister of Jammu & Kashmir
3. Eran Wickeramaratne – Minister of Sri Lanka
4. Abdul Rahman Bin Mohammed Al Owais – Health Minister of UAE
5. Dr Ravi Zacharias – International Motivational Speaker
6. Syed Ata Hasnain – Lt. General (Retd.)
7. Sonam Kapoor – renowned Bollywood actor
Faraaz Ayaz Hossain
20-year old Faraaz was caught in a terrorist attack at the Holey Artisan Bakery in Dhaka, Bangladesh. In spite of being allowed by the terrorists to walk away, he chose to stay back with his friends and lost his life in the process. Awarded posthumously, this award was received by Faraaz’s mother and brother.
The White Helmets (Syria Civil Defense)
This group of 3,000 local volunteers are a Syrian search-and-rescue organization operating in rebel-controlled Syria comprises of tailors, engineers, students, carpenters and so on. They are now dedicated to saving lives when bombs rain in on neighborhoods, very often at the risk of their own lives.
Maninderjeet Singh Bitta
Having risen from an ordinary Seva Dal volunteer to Indian Youth Congress President, Maninderjeet has put up a spirited fight against terrorism by spreading awareness about its menace among the youth. Having earned the epithet of Zinde Shahid (living martyr), his voluntary organization All India Anti-Terrorist Front, has rekindled the fire of patriotism among the youth.
Evacuated from Afghanistan during an attack that took the lives of her UN colleagues, Selene returned to Kabul to use the power of education to infuse fresh hope into the lives of millions of impacted children and youth. Subsequently she set up Plain Ink – an NGO that educates and trains young people in neglected conflict zones to act as peace builders in their communities.
This 22-year old Senior Flight Purser laid down her own life while saving the lives of three children and 400 other passengers on board the ill-fated PanAm flight that was hijacked by terrorists at the Karachi airport.
Awarded posthumously, Ms. Neeraj’s two brothers accepted the award.
Karambir Singh Kang
The General Manager of The Taj Mahal Palace & Hotel, Karambir stood firm with his team members rescuing guests and staff from the premises during the 26/11 terrorist attack, in spite of the great personal tragedy of losing his wife and two sons in the same attack.
Dr. Zeenat Shaukat Ali
Through her organization, Wisdom Foundation, Dr Zeenat has been enshrining the principles of non-violence and peace. The organization has been mobilizing priests of different faiths to join the war against the monster of terrorism by providing a platform where they can exchange views regularly, to foster harmony and cohesion to neutralize extremism.
A well-respected national leader from Ghana who is now the President of Ghana, Nana was involved in the successful peace efforts in the neighboring countries of Sierra Leone, Liberia, Ivory Coast and Guinea Bissau. He has displayed selfless qualities during the Arab Spring when he could have grabbed power throwing the entire region into turmoil.
This award was received by Prof. Hackman (former External Affairs Minister), a representative of Ghana’s President
A mother of two daughters and Special Police Officer in Jammu & Kashmir now, Rukhsana’s was the first case of terrorists being felled by a 20-year old lady in the valley in 2009. Not only she axe to death an LeT terrorist who barged into their home, but also wounded another while her brother and she moved their family to safety.
Special Mention and Acknowledgement
A) 26/11 Martyrs
The Mother Teresa Memorial International Award for Social Justice honours the martyrs who laid down their lives when Mumbai was under siege on 26th November 2008.
1) Major Sandeep Unnikrishnan, Special Action Group of the National Security Guards (NSG)
2) Hemant Karkare, the Joint Commissioner of Police, Chief of Mumbai Anti- Terrorist Squad
3) Ashok Kamte, Additional Commissioner of Police
4) Vijay Salaskar, Senior Police Inspector
5) ASI Thukaram Omble
6) PSI Bapurao Sahebrao Dhurgude
7) PSI Prakash Pandurang More
8) ASI Balasaheb Bhosale
9) Police Constable Yogesh Shivaji Patil
10) Police Constable Arun Raghunath Chite
11) Police Constable Ambadas Ramchandra Pawar
12) Police Constable Jaywant Hanumant Patil
13) Police Constable Vijay Madhukar Khandekar
B) Living heroes of the Mumbai Police.
1) Sadanand Date, Additional Director General of Police
2) Rajvardhan Sinha, Special IG of Police
3) Arun Jadhav, Head Constable